Monday, May 21, 2018

Roxas


Hey there!

Good week to be a missionary. Lots of changes this week- the mission is still throwing new experiences my way haha. It was awesome to call the fam on mother's day! Always super nice to see you guys and talk with you all for a bit!

Tuesday night was really hard! I said goodbye to my trainer Elder Cibuco as well as one of my companions in Las Pinas, Elder Moster. I've heard people say a trainer can be one of the most influential peope in your life and i can honestly say that about my trainer. Every time i think about that kid's face I'm just filled with so much gratitude. I've never worked with someone who went through such little school yet is so smart. He had every reason to complain but worked far harder than any other missionary in this mission haha. Totally left us all in the dust! I'm thankful for the friendship we made and hope to see him again.

It was tough leaving Makati 1st after 6 months! Lots of people there were great examples to me. I'm excited for the change and new opportunity though! Wednesday i went to new missionary orientation and met my new companion, Elder Pichay from Cagayan Valley. He's the man! He's 23 and has 2 other siblings. He's the first missionary to serve in his family. He had a pretty stable job working with computer information where he worked from 8-5 which hardly is heard of here. He has sacrificed alot to be out here i'm thankful for him! His family are all members- they were all less active for some time but are all active now! He's really shy and nervous but I'm super impressed by his desire and knowledge.

The first night we decided to talk to people on the streets right in the middle of the city in Makati haha! The people are a little more tricky to talk to but i was thinking it would be good for him to have that experience so he could compare that to the people on the island and not take their kindness here for granted. We met some really cool people with some awesome jobs who were willing to have Elders visit. We also met those who were the opposite haha. ;)

Thursday we were traveling for most of the day. We flew out here to Palawan and I had a super cool experience talking to a 23 year old German. I think he's gotta be the nicest tourist i've met my whole mission. His english was basically fluent and we have lots of the same interests. Him and his buddy were coming from visiting New Zealand and he showed me tons of sweet pictures of their hikes. I also got  a better idea of how important soccer is over in Europe. He had some cool insights there haha.

When we got to puerto we went with a senior couple to get Elder Pichay some glasses made at an eye doctor. We both now look super pro- i'd say we look like twins with his new glasses. I'm just about a foot taller. We then took a 2.5 hour shuttle to Roxas.

This ward is straight fire! I've been in shock a little bit with how kind and loving they are to missionaries. Missionary work here is a big deal and part of who they are. They're all super excited to see what happens on green island I feel like we have lots of support going into it. We had a meeting with the bishopric and they seemed to say all the right things and are very supportive in helping us out.

We had a chapel open house friday night and saturday where lots of members brought friends and potential investigators. We had different rooms they would go in as groups- a restoration room, YM and YW room, Relief Society, priesthood, book of mormon, temple, and a room with meet the mormons playing. It was super fun meeting the members as well as investigators. A few people who went to the open house even showed up at church the next morning. Elder and Sister Shields (sr couple here in roxas) put in tons of time getting it set up with other ward members and it for sure paid off.

Saturday we had two baptisms here in the ward and Elder Pichay got to baptize someone his first saturday as a missionary! Haha it was super sweet. The other elders in this ward are also fresh starting due to some bad decisions of the last elders here haha. Elder oracay and ibanez (in training still) are both pretty new in the mission but are SOO hard working. I feel super lucky being around them and have already learned lots and had lots of fun with them. They already have the hearts of all the members- Elder Ibanez is under 5 feet but is a complete fireball. As my dad would say his spirit must be really tall. There are also two sisters in the ward.

Well we are about to get on the boat to head to Green Island. I feel pretty nervous but am also super excited for the next few weeks! We will live in the upstairs room of some members on the island. No electricity or running water on the whole island but we got some sweet solar powered electric fans to keep us happy.

I know without a doubt that the Lord is at the head of His church. I know He died for each one of us and knows where we're at and how we're feeling. I know that His power is sufficient for anyone willing to come unto Him and diligently keep the commandments of the Father.

Much love! Elder Reber


Loved our last phone call with Park!! Cannot wait to get this kid home!







No comments:

Post a Comment