Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Our area is soooo big

Hey everyone!

A lot happened this week. It has been super fun! It was also kinda a crazy week a little because we were in some tough situations in lessons where we had to try to solve some concerns. Like every lesson I feel like something came up! Here are two though.

The first was a family in the other area in our ward. We had interviews and President gave us a heads up that our ward is only going to have one set of missionaries now! Our area is going to be sooo big haha. But anyways we went with them to their best-progressing and kinda their only investigators the Gran family. They’re the ones who went to the temple to look around a few weeks ago. They provided the car. They’re the most normal/cool family I feel like I’ve ever taught. The three kids are all in their teens and super fun! The problem though is that their dad is a seaman and won’t be home til next year. Judith, the mom is nervous to tell the husband they’ve been going to a new church and taking lessons from missionaries because she’s afraid the husband will lose trust. It’s pretty understanding for me they just want to make their choice as a family when brother is back so nothing gets misunderstood. They had a goal to be baptized in two weeks but they informed us they’ve decided to wait til next year! We talked about how it’s good they want to do this as a family but I’ve seen so many times over time people’s desire in situations like this starts to fade away. Satan has time to tell them “nah this is all just a coincidence.” It will be an interesting next few lessons trying to help them figure out a way to make the best decision!

The other was a less active named Jun. Bishop asked us to go visit him. We got there knowing that he often has troubles with his family but didn’t know what happened this time. He’s a grandpa-aged guy and he’s the only member. We got there and he had a huge brace thing on his head! Apparently his transgender kid and his youngest son beat him up. They cracked the bone of his jaw and he has bruises all over his body. He then told us “I’m sorry to say this Elders, but all that has gone through my mind these past few weeks is how I want to kill my two kids.” Wow we didn’t expect to hear that! We talked for awhile and learned that Bishop has given him a blessing and a few members have shared him a few verses the past few weeks. I was just sitting there listening to him talk waiting for a thought to enter my mind but nothing did! I was thinking “love your enemies” and stuff like that but I was sure he had heard it all. I then had a weird thought tho! I asked “what do you like to do brother?” Such a simple question but he got a big smile, got up and came back with all of these sick drawings! We learned he’s super pro at art! I asked if I could pay him to draw my face but all of his art stuff is in the house of his two kids. Oh well haha. But it ended up being a cool visit! We could just tell he was super lonely and I’ll never forget the importance of asking someone about their life!

Jordan is still awesome! He was at church yesterday but we will probably have to move his baptism to the first week of november. His step dad had an attack on his brain and has been in the hospital all week! We visited many times and gave a few priesthood blessings. I think I gave 5 blessings just this week to members and people. I’m thankful for the priesthood! Jordan is super faithful and positive about his step dads situation though. When we were at the hospital people actually asked who were were and we got to share a little about our beliefs. The plan of salvation is amazing! Jordan’s dad giovanni went from a 3% chance of living to a 40%! Hopefully he will continue to improve.

Went on exchanges with Elder Hernandez from vegas! He’s a nice guy we talked about lots of the little spots over by his house. He knows where we used to stay down there. We went out to a new part of their area and it was sick! It was right by the water and it there was lots of grass and stuff. Kinda like Palawan! We walked along the railroad track and realized really quickly people probably haven’t seen foreigners in that area for years and years. Everyone was super kind and asked where we were from and what we were doing! It was kinda like tondo.. there were times where like 30 people were gathering listening to what we had to say. We went crazy down there though and got 12 new investigators in a few hours! He was fun to be with because everyone who walked past us he would at least say hi to them. We got along really well and had a fun exchange!

One day we were sitting eating lunch by the side of the road and we watched a dog get hit by a car! It was so gross haha the car was going super slow. The dog kept squirming around then this old guy just chilling on the side of the road went and picked him up and tossed it to the side of the road. Then a different dog started eating it as it was still moving a bit. Haha lunch got better though because this guy walked in and said he’s talked to missionaries before. He just praised us a ton for having smiles on our face even when we’re walking, doing service, and probably really tired. He said some super inspirational things then bought our lunch! I love people like that. I feel like whenever it’s a hard day someone lifts me back up. The people here are so awesome.

Yesterday we got to bless the sacrament and as we were up there on the stand I was just scanning the congregation. There are so many people here in this ward that are so important to me. I think I’m closer with members here than anywhere else. Almost all of them have fed us I feel like, especially these past few weeks. They sacrifice a lot for us missionaries! We even ate at a pretty nice restaurant one night this week, and another night we had krispy kremes for dessert at bishops house! It was awesome. We also were informed by the relief society pres that there’s a less active sister who wants to return to church. She has a fourteen yr old son who wants to be baptized. We got there and taught her son as well as 4 of his cousins who live in the same house and they all committed to baptism the first lesson! They were all at church too yesterday. Members can help the work so much. I’m so thankful to be here I’m learning a lot from the people.

It’s been a good transfer! I might get a new comp this Wednesday but we don’t know yet.  I’ve been kinda sick the past 2 weeks and I think I’ve lost about 14 pounds in the past two weeks haha but we’ve still been able to work. It will be humbling if Graden can beat me up after this mission. It has been fun though to make fun of each other while we’re out working and one of us is feeling horrible. Then the next hour it’s the other way around haha. We just laugh it off! Today on pday we’ve just been resting haha and I know Elder Moster is pretty sick.. we had to head to the doctors earlier today for a test for dengue. The work continues though!

Have a good week! This church is true. I know Christ is our Savior and has felt everything we have and will feel here in this life. God loves us and knows us. Christ’s church has been restored through the young prophet Joseph Smith.

Elder Reber J



















No comments:

Post a Comment