Wednesday, September 13, 2017

100th Stake

Hey everyone!

This week has been good! This week has been really busy because this zone combined so there are tons of new missionaries here it’s been kinda wild! I’ve learned the importance of having a good area book because lots of missionaries are fresh starting in the mission and some are feeling the pains of bad organization haha. The number of missionaries have been going down in our mission as well so every transfer areas are being combined like ours was a few weeks ago. Lots of good new opportunity though!

Well transfers came and I’m still here with Elder Moster in our area. I’m happy we have another transfer together it has been fun with him. The best part of this week was seeing Joy Gontinas return to church! Her kids weren’t able to come but at least she made it. After church she told us her decision has been made- she will be baptized! I think last week’s little trial with her old pastor was just a little test of her growing testimony of this church. I think her going to church at her old church also solidified her knowledge that it… isn’t true ha. We are hoping to set her goal date for Sept 23 but we will see how our lesson with her goes tonight!

We have a few other investigators who are making little steps but haven’t been to church yet. It’s cool to see how line upon line they gain more faith as they take action. Some aren’t keeping commitments so this week we are going to focus on helping them realize the importance of doing things on their own in order to know if our message is really true. We might have to drop some of them as well.

Some recent converts in our area had their new home finished so we got to go eat dinner there then later that night blessed/dedicated the home. I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned when we do this but I think that was at least the 10th home I’ve been asked to bless haha! I don’t know why but my companions have never done it.. it’s always me. It’s kinda funny because the streak continues until now!

Well this week I finished the BOM! One thing I want to share though was something new I noticed in the book of Ether. In the story of the brother of Jared he must prepare for a long journey and we see that instead of the Lord just telling him exactly what to do, he makes him figure it out first. He works really hard to do all he can then after that the Lord does the rest. I’ve always liked that, but in verse 24 of chapter 2 I noticed something new this time. Even after preparing the vessels and having things prepared for their journey, their travels on the sea weren’t easy. Rather than the Lord finally giving them a break and making the travel smooth, it says there were mountain waves that dashed upon them. The Lord then said “for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.” It shows the all of the trials they were going through were sent from the Lord. All of the winds, waves, rains, and floods were coming from Him. Then in chapter 6 verse 8 later on it says “And it came to pass that the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land…” It’s another good example that all of the hard things that we experience really are for our benefit! They help us become more like the Savior and become prepared to return to His presence. Every day people ask us why their life is filled with so many trials, disappointments, and hardship so as I read it seems to be a question I continue to focus on. I’m thankful for the scriptures and words of living prophets and apostles that have helped me understand why. Even in the story of Job, the Lord actually invited Satan to go visit Job in order to test his faith. He knew that Job would overcome the trials, even if it included taking everything that he owned including his family. No matter how hard a trial might seem and how difficult it is to understand why we have to go through it, I know that it’s for our good and the Lord won’t give us adversity that we can’t overcome. I was reading “Our Search for Happiness” this morning and I think what I read helps it all come together. It’s talking about missionary experiences but I think it can apply to anything else as well. “Weaknesses become strengths, challenges become opportunities, trials become triumphs, and adversity becomes an adventure in the service of the Lord.”

I’m excited for more adventures! Our mission just had a new stake made- the Mandaluyong Stake, which split from the Makati Stake (my last area.) This is the 100th stake in the Philippines which is an awesome thing to see! I hope I’ll stay on the Lord’s side throughout my life, it’s the side that will always win.

Take care everyone have a nice week!
Love elder reber

Pics for the week are again compliments of Sister Fermanis. With the organization of the Mandaluyong stake there are now 100 stakes in the Philippines. They had a fun program to celebrate! What an exciting time to be serving in Manila!





No comments:

Post a Comment